lundi 30 octobre 2017

Spousal Support and Alimony: Cancellation of a Credit Card Used to Pay Temporary Support

My question involves a marriage in the state of:Illinois

My temporary support is being allow exclusive access to the home and my spouse pays the utilities and insurance. I am also allowed use of our joint credit card for living expenses. The card is my sole means of income

My previous attorney had his assistant email me and inform me that he wanted me to pay his bill with my support credit card. I questioned several times if that would be ok legally and each time I was assured by the attorney through his assistant that I had a court order to use the card. I did as he advised and gave them the card number to charge even though there had been deadline issues and months of unanswered calls and emails directly from the attorney

A week or 2 later after after his assistant emailed me asking me to give permission to the attorney to sign an important document that the attorney knew I had issues with, I retained a different attorney

After another week or so when I tried to use the card to purchase groceries the card was declined. I informed my new attorney who later that day received an email from spouse's attorney stating that my charges put the card over the limit and she told my spouse to cancel the support credit card. She also said that they weren't going to pay it. It seems my husband had cut the limit on the card in half after he made the agreement for support and we both continued to use the card.

My attorney set a emergency hearing for 2 days later. At the hearing spouse's attorney stated that I didn't need the support because I had received $23000 60 days previously from an insurance policy I'd cashed in. That was untrue and spouse's attorney was quite familiar with the fact that I cashed in the $20,000 policy 16 months earlier the first time my husband took me off the card and closed our joint checking account. It wasn't difficult that time because I had the insurance money for expenses and used it to pay off other obligations for the 6 months I didn't have the card.

After several more false statements and insults from my husband's attorney (like I was harassing my husband by saying he is an alcoholic, which he is) the judge decided to do nothing about the card

There is another hearing in 2 months and I'm broke until then. Is it possible to appeal the (non)decision or is there anything else I can do? Right now I am using a credit card and paying only the minimum with the small stash of funds I hoarded away. Luckily the kids are grown and on their own or I'd be really screwed.

Thanks in advance


Spousal Support and Alimony: Cancellation of a Credit Card Used to Pay Temporary Support

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire