mardi 31 octobre 2017

Cleaning and Repairs: Where to Send Security Deposit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Indiana

I am a landlord of one single family home in Indiana. I currently reside in Pa and manage the property myself. I charged $700/month for unit and collected a security deposit of $700. When I returned home from a family vacation I did not have the rent check in my mailbox as is usual. Rent is due on the 1st (allow 9 days before it is late) I returned home on the 12th and no check tried to contact tenants to no avail, sent my father in law to drive by the house to see how it looked. it looked abandoned. upon entering the house the unit (10 days later) was trashed inside and outside. literally trash everywhere, bikes, beds, old freezer, walls had holes in them, all very stained, bathrooms were filthy and all the flooring were badly damaged.

They had a lease that ran through June 30, 2018. they apparently moved out sometime end of September but without any notice and still have talked to them, nor have I received the keys back. I have changed the locks and removed all the items out of unit in hopes of repairing it. I am needing to send the notice as to why I am keeping their security deposit but have no forwarding address. Indiana law states I have 45 days to send it, but from when? when they moved out (which I have no idea when that was) or when I knew that they were gone? (October 13th) Also do I send it to the rental house address? it is the only address I have for them, but I know they aren't there. also how long should I charge them for rent? I was thinking Oct-Nov. but it would be ready to rent mostly like in December. the damages and rent are obviously more than the security deposit but don't want to be hit with the penalty of triple damages for not properly returning the security deposit.


Cleaning and Repairs: Where to Send Security Deposit

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire