mercredi 28 février 2018

Speeding Tickets: Ticketed for Speeding in a School Zone, but Did Not See Flashing Lights

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

I read through the Washington State thread, great help. Also read through another thread discussing school zone speeding tickets specific to Sammamish, WA (apparently the flashing school zone lights are not in fact timed together as each has an internal clock set by the technician at the time of installation). Would love some help/suggestions specific to a speeding ticket I got yesterday.

Was driving uphill towards intersection in Sammamish, WA. Did not observe any school signs, speed limit signs, flashing lights, or children. As soon as crested hill, there was a police officer waving me to the side some 150-200 ft in front of me. Was bewildered, thought he was waving ppl around an accident.

He directed me to park in a church parking lot adjacent to the street. He told me his radar had me going 37 in a school zone (limit 20 mph) and that the school lights were flashing. I told him I didn't see any flashing lights. Gave him my license/registration, etc. We were both polite to each other. I assumed he was going to give me a warning because I have a very safe driving record and didn't see any flashing lights or school zone signs.

While waiting for him, I could see children now pouring out of Skyline HS grounds and beginning to cross the street. I saw the flashing lights on the opposite side of the road I was driving, near the intersection, and just across the street from where the office would have been standing when he checked my speed. It was about 3 pm while I sat there waiting.

He came back and did in fact give me a ticket. I was disappointed and didn't say much. He said he did me a favor and cited me for going 6-10 miles over (a lower fine) rather than the actual speed I was going (17 over). The fine is still $235.

The ticket estimates the time of my speeding at 2:58 pm. School got out, according to the school website, at 2:55.

There is an error on the ticket. For some reason the officer wrote that I have red hair, when I very obviously have medium brown hair (only mentioning this if a data error such as this by the officer might somehow invalidate the other data on the ticket).

I'm in my thirties and have a very good driving record. Based on the threads I've read through so far, it seems I should contest the ticket and file for Discovery.

Does anyone have any advice??

Arguments I am considering:

- Data error on ticket

- Flashing lights were not on or visible to me when I crested this hill

- File date on stamp (if greater than 5 days)


OR would it be a bad idea for me to contest the ticket when the officer already let me off a little? Could they disagree with me and then charge a fine for the speed I was actually going? $355?

I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice, thank you.


Speeding Tickets: Ticketed for Speeding in a School Zone, but Did Not See Flashing Lights

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire