jeudi 22 février 2018

Repair and Maintenance: Landlord Isn't Fixing Appliances

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Indiana

Hi there and thanks in advance for your help!

Background: I rent a town home, the lease agreement explicitly states the landlord is responsible for repairing appliances.

Situation: I texted my landlord back in December asking to fix window blinds and washer. The washer started to jump around the laundry room and made really loud noise which made me think there was an issue and it was about to fail. The blinds in his town home are really cheap, flimsy, and old so they deformed and cracked in multiple places as well as started to fall apart under normal usage (I barely touch them, honestly). He started to question my normal usage of blinds and was unwilling to fix them, but later on, he replied back and said someone would stop by and fix blinds after holidays. While I understand fixing blinds may not be his responsibility based on the contract, he still needed to fix the washer as I stated in my initial message to him. He didn't say anything about the washer though.

I decided to give it a reasonable amount of time and waited one month till the end of January, but nobody showed up to fix the washer and blinds (again, he promised to fix them).

Now it's almost two months and still no progress. I guess he might have forgotten or something, but I frankly do not want to stay in this place anymore and was wondering if this can be a ground to break the lease (only 2 months left). If so, what is the appropriate way to terminate the rental agreement and how do I make sure I get my security deposit in full given my landlord tried to put broken blinds on me? Thanks!


Repair and Maintenance: Landlord Isn't Fixing Appliances

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire