mercredi 29 mars 2017

Traffic Lane Violations: Carpool / Crossed Double Yellow- What Should I Have Done

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CALIFORNIA


Default Crossing Over Double Yellow into Carpool Lane With No Passenger
My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I was driving in the number two lane (next to the carpool lane) on the 91 freeway traveling west on a Thursday night around 7:20 P.M. There wasn't a lot of traffic I was comfortably driving a little over the speed limit @66mph.

Suddenly something came from my right side spinning fast it looked like possible a piece of a car door. Immediately I moved over to my left lane crossing over a double yellow (to avoid hitting this large object heading straight at me). It ended up hitting the bottom of the passenger side (right) bumper. I slowed down quite a bit and debated weather or not I should get out of the carpool lane or wait until the double yellow broke, but before I could decide I had noticed a car coming in my rear view mirror really fast and red n blue flashing lights- and I exited the freeway per the officers instruction over his speaker.

I gave him my license and registration and tried to explain to him that an object was in the road coming towards me and I changed lanes to avoid it hitting me- but that it hit me anyway. He took a step backwards facing me and leaned back shinning his flashlight at the driver's side of the front of my car. I said no the passenger side it was coming from the right across the freeway toward me and moved over thinking I could avoid it hitting me. So he took two steps back this time and leaned back to shine his flashlight at the passenger side of my and said "there is no damage." So he took all my info and proceeded to write me the ticket for crossing over double yellow and being in the carpool lane alone.

What should I do? After arriving at my destination I checked the car out and there is definitely damage (I have photos of). From the angle that the CHP officer was looking from (my driver side leaning over the hood and stretching his neck) he very well could not have seen the damage from the object that hit the bottom passenger side front end of the car. The bottom body kit and just under the headlight are dented. The plastic is attached and dented. If you run your hand across the areas it is no longer a smooth surface it feels like a cheese grater.

Any advice for questions I can ask the CHP officer in court. I'm not counting on him not showing up.
Do judges consider the possibility that sometimes things like this happen that are out of your control? Is there ever an exception for a single driver to be able to cross over into the carpool lane? Should I have asked the officer to let me get out and look at it for myself? What should I expect when I go to court?

Thank you in advance for all the answers! God bless!


Traffic Lane Violations: Carpool / Crossed Double Yellow- What Should I Have Done

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire