mercredi 29 mars 2017

Security Deposits: No Security Deposit Returned and Ignored

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan

After living in the same place for three years, we decided to move out. All of the rent was paid and our utilities. I contacted the appropriate person giving notice of moving out and left the requested note and keys in the drop box when we were done.

Move out was Feb 1st, and I contacted this person via text Feb 13th inquiring about the security deposit. He asked if we left the note and keys (showing he never checked our unit) and said that he will contact the owner about our security deposit. I asked for an email to forward the move out information to the owner myself and sent that on the 22nd of Feb. With no response, I sent another email on Mar. 15th. I also reached out to this building on their facebook in messenger on Mar. 15th. In this conversation, they responded that they will forward the concern to the same person I was previously texting who had no answers for me. I continued to wait and sent another message on facebook on Mar. 21st since I never got another response. Since then, no one has responded to anything.

The unit was clean and any issues with it were addressed to the maintenance person who said that with the building being updated, they wouldn't replace or fix certain things. The building did switch management hands a few times but we were never requested to sign any new lease.

So, I was wondering how to try to get my security deposit back and what I may be entitled to since I have been waiting for so long and ignored. I read about possibly taking them to court and getting double (triple?) deposit back as well as them having to pay for legal fees. While I don't want to take legal action since we moved a good distance away and it would cut into work, I am not sure what other options are available.

Thanks


Security Deposits: No Security Deposit Returned and Ignored

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire