lundi 27 mars 2017

Civil Rights Issues: Is Facial Recognition Software a Violation of Privacy

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: NY

Recently, I was discussing with a friend, a summons I received for going through a red light. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. Who knows. That isn't the point of my post.

While talking about it, I mentioned the silver lining; at least it is issued to the vehicle and doesn't cost me points on my license and increased insurance rates. In response to this statement, my friend informed me that there was discussion about deploying 2 camera systems where they would be able to get a photo of the person driving. Using facial recognition software, they would run the DMV photo database through it to ID the person driving.

This seems extreme and flawed to me as the margin of error could lead to people being unjustly penalized as facial recognition software isn't perfect.

So my question is this: Is this an invasion of privacy?

To expand on my point, if I walk past a home and observe a quantity of some drug on a table inside an open window, those drugs are considered to be in "plain view" and the action I take is justified by this fact. Of course, if the drugs were not in plain view, I could not take action based on a suspicion.

Is the driver of the vehicle considered to be in "plain view"?

It would be illegal for me to take a camera, point the lens in an open window and take photos of the people inside. How would a camera, deployed as stated above be any different?


Civil Rights Issues: Is Facial Recognition Software a Violation of Privacy

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire