lundi 27 mars 2017

Divorce: What Rights Can You Lose by Signing IRS Form 8332

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Washington.

(Don't know whether this is a tax question or a divorce question but have decided to try my hand in this forum!)

Hi there, I am sadly going through an acrimonious divorce. I do not have an attorney yet, but am moving to get myself one. In the meantime, I would appreciate help with this question.

My hopefully-soon-to-be-ex-husband announced to me last month that he had done his tax return and decided to take the child tax exemption for our son, even though I am solely responsible for our son in both financial and practical terms. (I have received virtually no financial support from my ex.) Unsurprisingly I was pretty upset at this news and told him that he simply could not take that exemption, and that if I claimed it, it would be allocated to me and he would have to repay the money to the IRS (possibly with added fines).

He is now demanding that I sign IRS Form 8332, just for 2016, waiving my right to exemptions that ordinarily correspond to the custodial parent (even though he already submitted his tax return weeks ago) - according to him, for no other reason than to prove to me that it can be done, and I was wrong in saying that it couldn't. (He SAYS he will then give me the corresponding amount of money.) In the meantime, he is refusing to sign an amended tax return that I want to submit for 2013, and an application form for my son's passport - he will only sign them once I have signed 8332.

I don't understand why he is placing such importance on this form - just to make a point, according to him. It makes me really suspicious. Could my signing this form put me at a disadvantage in the divorce proceedings I wonder? What else could I lose by signing?

Thanks so much for your feedback!


Divorce: What Rights Can You Lose by Signing IRS Form 8332

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire