mardi 28 mars 2017

Traffic Accidents: Can Lane Change Fault Be Determined by Damage to Cars

My question involves an accident that occurred in the state of Pennsylvania this afternoon.

I was on a 6-lane road. I was traveling in the middle lane which was designated by a straight arrow. The lanes on either side were designated turn lanes. Ahead (on left and right) were ramp entrances to a highway.

I made no lane changes. I continued to drive slowly straight ahead when I noticed a small car behind me to the right. Quite suddenly this car turned sharply and proceeded across my lane in front of me. The angle suggested that the car was aiming to cross 2 lanes into the left turn lane. I immediately stopped my car. But the compact car continued to move a few feet, scraping the corner of my right front bumper. The car then stopped and returned to the outside lane. I followed as the driver turned to a side street.

The visible damage to my Volvo wagon was slight-- just a few scratches on the corner bumper. The passenger door was pushed back so it couldn't be opened. The other driver's car had a dent which extended several feet at the center of the driver's side.

The young woman driver told the police officer that I was the one who changed lanes and damaged her car! The officer wrote up a report which did not determine who was at fault. He said that the damage could have been caused either way and that the insurance companies would have to fight it out. I think he may have been sympathetic to the other driver as he pointed out that the damage to her car was far worse than to mine. This was understandable since my car was a Volvo wagon whereas hers a Ford compact.

Will the insurance investors be able to determine from the damage that I was not at fault? I don't understand how she could argue that the long scrape was caused by my scraping her car with my front bumper.

Thank you!


Traffic Accidents: Can Lane Change Fault Be Determined by Damage to Cars

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire