mardi 28 mars 2017

Federal Grant, Spousal Benefits

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub-forum. Here is the setup:

- My spouse and I work at the same employer. I started there first so our health insurance has always been taken out of my paycheck.
- My spouse later got a job there managing a Federal grant. Her paycheck comes out of that federal grant.
- She remains on my health insurance plan (employee + spouse)

Our health insurance premium is taken out of my paycheck (pretax), and of course, the employer pay another part of the premium on top of that (the amount I do not know). Theoretically, the amount the employer pays should not change according to my spouse's employment status.

Here is the question:
When my spouse became employed, the employer began taking her half of the employee cost of health insurance out of her federal grant, yet she remains on my employee + spouse plan. Is this legal?

The view I have is that: the employer is deducting a benefits cost for one employee from a federal grant (out of which that employees paycheck comes, correctly) out of funds allocated to another employees benefit plan. My employment has nothing to do with this grant. Before my spouse was employed, and if she ceased employment, the employer could not justify taking her portion of insurance premiums out of my paycheck. Likewise, if I changed employers, my new employer couldn't take my spouse's portion of benefits cost out of the federal grant (that the hypothetical new employer wouldn't have access to anyways).

Please let me know if any of this is unclear. I am not looking for legal advice, but just wanted to get some thoughts from others who may have a bit more insight into what the relevant legal issues/questions might be here.

Cheers!
And thanks in advance for any thoughts!


Federal Grant, Spousal Benefits

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire