samedi 27 février 2016

Trademarks: Choosing a Business Name that is Similar to a Registered Trademark

Hi, I wanted to name a product I was developing and I saw on the US trademark website that it was taken, but not exactly. I read up on trademark law some, but I think there is some gray area. I understand if the industries are different, it might work.

I want to name my product SoundTrac. It's a phone app that lets you count how many words you say and tracks how your voice sounds. Sort of like a voice recognition app, but not quite.

The existing company is called SoundTracs. With an "s" at the end. That is not quite enough I understand, but that company makes sound broadcast equipment, or music concert / studio equipment (those guys in the back making sure the singer sounds well).

The other thing is that the company appears to have changed their name to DigiCo. The www.The SoundTracs.com website links to digico.biz. Though, the Trademark for SoundTracs is still "Live" on the US Trademark website.

Are those different enough industries/products to allow me to use the name? Combined with the slight different spelling (minus the "s") and the fact that they appeared to abandon or changed their name?

Thanks for your opinion!

Eric


Trademarks: Choosing a Business Name that is Similar to a Registered Trademark

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire