samedi 27 février 2016

Privacy Crimes: Recording Yourself in Contexts Where You Might Record Others Without Their Consent

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA and US

Hi, I have a question about voice audio recording law. I am not sure where the best place is to ask that on this website. It seemed like it could go under this group of topics in civil liberties, although I think it's regulated by the Federal wiretap bill.

If I try to record, with a hidden mic, my own voice all day but use just the voice sound characteristics, not the speech content or actual words, is it ok to accidentally record someone else's voice who I am talking to as well, or someone near me?

I am working on a device that can record my own voice all day, 12 hrs +, and analyze how much I talk and how I sound (the vocal characteristics). It will only count the number of words and how fast I talk. It will also measure the pitch and volume characteristics. The data is stored locally on my phone and deleted after analyzing the number of words and vocal characteristics.

It will be a microphone on my shirt connected to my phone, the microphone might be hidden under a shirt, or it might be visible at my shirt collar, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
It will also have an app that will process and count the number of words I speak, but not tell me the content of the speech.

I am concerned that the device will pick up another person's voice too. I will not know the speech content, but I might pick up how many words they said, or the pitch of their voice, for example, in that limited time frame.

I am in CA, but I am interested in the entire US as well. I understand there's a law about getting the other person's approval in CA, but does my situation count if the speech content is not recognizable?

Would this device and app be legal? Thanks for your feed back. I really appreciate it.

Best,


Privacy Crimes: Recording Yourself in Contexts Where You Might Record Others Without Their Consent

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire