jeudi 25 février 2016

Rental Agreements: Landlord Wants to Sign a New Lease Over a Tenant Change

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

I am renting a small unit in a 20 unit apartment in a rent controlled area. I am an excellent tenant, clean, quite, respectful and never late on rent. I've been living here for the past 10 years or so and the rent price skyrocketed (2x) and I locked in a good rate. I bought a house in few years back as well and due to nature of my work, I sleep there and here and the rent rate was too good to let go so I kept my lease. My house and the apartment are about an hour apart. I am on month-to-month lease right now, with the ORIGINAL lease contract.

My apartment is located near school and my housemate just graduated from school. My girlfriend goes to that school. She has her own place right now and I'd like to have her move into my apartment with me. I was thinking to keep the place until she gets out of school and give it up.

So I told my landlord that she will be replacing my housemate, and I told my landlord that I will be solely responsible for rent and there shouldn't be any real modification to lease looking at precedences. But he insisted on signing a new lease due to price hike. I refused for many reasons... I did tell him that if he OKs her move-in w/o price change or with a inflation adjustment per rent control, I will terminate my lease and vacate the premise within 2 years (when she graduates). I ensured that if something bad happens (between me and my gf) I will be the one staying and will still keep my promise (sign paper what not and promise to vacate etc). It's funny how he brings this up now because in the past 10 years or so, I've actually changed my housemate a few times, to be specific 4. My first housemate left after a year and I let my landlord know and a new guy moved in. The last one stayed for 5 years. I always let my landlord know every time my housemate changed. He was understanding and all, and he never demanded a new lease, he simply asked for the housemate-to-be's credit report and it was done, never even modified the lease, nothing signed. I did make a sublease agreement with my housemate everytime, between the person and me. So I am still on the original lease with my original housemate's name on it, and that original housemate gave me and my landlord 30-day-notice when he left years ago and that was that. Now that over the past few years the SF housing market went crazy, the landlord suddenly wants to start a new lease. I understand that he wants more money, but this is a bit absurd.

Question 1: it seems that he set the precedences by allowing me change housemates multiple times. Can he make me sign a new lease over changing a housemate?

He also threatened me that if my current housemate leaves I have to sign a new lease because I am the only tenant and that's a change in contract. But then my current housemate never signed a lease...

Question 2: can he do this? do I have to sign a new lease over my current housemate leaving? The rent $ isn't an issue for me. I have no problem covering all.

I do own a home nearby and I can just have my gf situated there and visit me as a guest when she goes to school. I mean what's wrong with your girlfriend visiting her boyfriend and spending multiple nights at his house? She already does that...

Question 3: if he can't force me to sign a new lease over my housemate leaving, I have no problem having a guest over. Right?!?!

I know it's long. I don't like having bad relationship with people esp. my landlord. My landlord became a bit threatening when I told him I wouldn't sign a new lease. Please help.


Rental Agreements: Landlord Wants to Sign a New Lease Over a Tenant Change

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire