jeudi 25 février 2016

Pets: Can a Landlord Require That You Provide Vet Records

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: North Carolina

Background: I got a dog in September 2015. The lease states that I am allowed a dog on the premises if the pet deposit is paid and the pet addendum is signed. I have done those things.

Issue: Landlord stated that they need the dogs vet records and to get them in whenever I can. The requirement for vet records is not anywhere in the lease nor is it in the pet addendum. The landlord has acknowledged this. Thy have asked me (in passing) verbally to bring the vet records up to the office. It would always slip my mind and I would forget. Fast forward to January 2015. The office manager stops me as I'm getting on the elevator and says "hey we're gonna need those vet records or i'm going to have to start assessing fines". He seemed intoxicated and I had been drinking. They threw a winter party for the residents in the basement. This month, I go turn in the vet records and he lets me know that I owe him 250 for them not having them on file.

This is their explanation: "1) We are enabled to enforce fines, and policies in order to maintain our community standards and 2) Animals deemed undesirable "at our sole discretion" may be subject for removal. In this case, animals who have not fulfilled the application process and shown proper vet records are undesirable as they pose a liability since we can not show they've been treated for things that could pose a threat to animals and people around them"

PS: Its a standard NC residential lease agreement


My question is: Can they legally assess this fine for a "violation" that is not in the lease agreement or any addendum? According to the lease and the addendum, I have fulfilled the application process.

Thanks in advance for your feedback


Pets: Can a Landlord Require That You Provide Vet Records

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire