jeudi 25 février 2016

Premises Liability: Can Insurance Adjuster "Close" a Case Before the Statute of Limitations

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Washington.

Slip and fall at large department store: Freshly painted parking lot stripes + season's first rain = slippery.
DOI: September, 2015
First contact with adjuster October or November 2015
Advised them that I did not want to give any further statements, and did not want to meet at the store, or anything else for a while, "perhaps until after the holidays"
Holidays came and went.
Injuries: neck, mid and low back ... and hernia.
All but hernia nearing end of chiropractic treatment
MD gave me a surgical referral for the hernia. I am still sorting out how to accomplish that.
Attorney not selected yet.
Received letter from adjuster stating that unless they hear from me within 30 days, they'd consider the case closed.
I sent an email stating that "I hope to be able to contact you within this 30 day time frame."
We have a 3 year statue of limitations in this state.

My questions:

(1) Am I really under any pressure to contact them before the 30 days is up? In other words, CAN they "close" a case?

(2) Should I grow closer to the end of this 30 period (13 MAR 2015), might a brief letter notifying the adjuster that I am still not ready to discuss the case further be appropriate and polite?
(Without going into it, this would include including meet at the injury site, having phone interviews, making statements, etc.)

I am reading a fascinating (6-year old) Nolo press book about How To Win Your PI Case and plan to take the bar immediately following.
Just kidding. I hope levity is allowed.

Thanks in advance,

Dr Carl


Premises Liability: Can Insurance Adjuster "Close" a Case Before the Statute of Limitations

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire