lundi 29 février 2016

Surrendering Registration: Having to Serve a 90 Day Suspension (License), .while Not Operating Vehicle

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: PA
Hi,
While my car was parked outside of my home, (on the street of a typical suburban neighborhood) a police officer took my license plate and left a "Acknowledgement of surrendered/seized license/registration" notice on my windshield. I called the police station and was told that, while patrolling the neighborhood an officers "card reader" signaled that my car was uninsured. Which led to the seizure of my plates. I was aware of the lapse and that it has been more than 30 days. I was laid off from my (seasonal) job and denied unemployment, so I did not have money to pay the insurance when the insurance lapsed. I just started work again and was planning on getting insurance with my first check.(which i did today) I did not drive my vehicle during this time. I went to an Auto Tags place to get my car re-registered and plates back. I was told that since my insurance lapsed for more than 30 days that I would have to serve a 90 day suspension on my license to get my plates back. I just do not understand why my DL would be suspended if I was not operating the vehicle? Is it illegal to own a car while not insured? And if so is 90 day DL suspension the penalty for owning a non-insured vehicle? I am aware of 2 options I have here, 1. Serve the suspension. 2. Pay a civil penalty in lieu of suspension ($600). Is there any other option other than these 2? Also I read on the PA DMV website that "If PENNDOT determines you operated this vehicle you will have to serve a 90 day suspension...." How do they determine this if I was not pulled over or had any traffic incidents during the lapse? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in PA FYI.
Thanks,
Kevin


Surrendering Registration: Having to Serve a 90 Day Suspension (License), .while Not Operating Vehicle

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire