mardi 30 octobre 2018

What to Do About Slamming Door Next to My House

My question involves court procedures for the state of: WI

I live in a house that I've owned for 19 years, and it's located just 3 feet from the house next door which is a rental property. The previous tenants had installed a makeshift door on the back porch where there wasn't one before, and it has its problems. It's just an old closet door that the people put hinges and an interior slide lock on. It has no doorknob, no latch and no handle on the outside. When the tenants leave, the door is left swinging freely, and the wind slams it against the door frame really hard--hard enough to make the dishes in my kitchen cabinets rattle. It also wakes me up early in the morning as soon as they leave for the day. To say that it really gets on my nerves to hear that door slam a couple times every minute for the whole day would be an understatement.

Normally, this seems like something to talk to the tenants about. However, they can't really do anything about it since there is no latch for them to use, and they wouldn't be able to lock it from the outside without locking in someone who is inside. Plus, they aren't authorized to make changes to the property anyway. The landlord would need to do that. So I emailed the landlord, politely describing the problem and suggested installing a magnetic door catch to keep the door closed when the people are away. It's been 2 weeks, and he never responded.

The next option I thought of was informing the police as an excessive noise complaint. It wouldn't be against the tenants since it's more of a defect of the property itself, which is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain.

A last option I was considering was to just go over there when they're gone and install a magnet on the door and a flat metal piece in the door frame to act as a magnetic door catch. Hopefully, the tenants would be happy and I would have some quiet. But then again, if they ask the landlord about it, it would be obvious that I put it there since I had suggested to the landlord that he put a magnetic catch in place. I could probably get in trouble for doing that since it's not my property.

So what is the law regarding a very close neighbor's door swinging in the wind and slamming all day because it can't be securely closed? Who is ultimately responsible for it?


What to Do About Slamming Door Next to My House

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire