lundi 29 octobre 2018

Heirs and Beneficiaries: Inheritance Rights of Biological Children

First time forum member/poster. Not sure of any rights and looking for feedback. Situation: My biological father (married to my mother at time of my birth and is listed as my father on my birth certificate) was never in my life. My mother divorced him after my birth (1-2 months old) in 1971. Born in WA State; divorce filed in CA. I finally found my biological father, but he passed in 2011. He remarried to the woman that became his widow. From what I know, everything went to her upon his passing. She ended up passing in 2016, and it is my understanding everything then went to her sister, brother and possibly niece and nephew. My biological father never had any other children than myself; thus, he and the woman he remarried (after my mother) never had children. I was able to connect with my biological father’s only two living relatives - a half brother and half sister (thus, my half uncle and half aunt). They informed me that his house had been paid in full and there was still money in his 401K that they felt I should get a portion. This has been all overwhelming (the entire process of reconnecting with my paternal side of my heritage and talk about inheritance). My only intent had been to learn about my paternal side. It is clear there is not a good relation between my biological father’s in-law family and his half siblings. I was told that my biological father’s widow did in fact know I existed, but the widow’s sister told my biological father’s half sister she herself wasn’t aware of me (which my aunt does not believe is true). I am unaware of any will at this stage, but even though I was told I was always thought of by my biological father...the nature of the divorce and me not being in his life was something he never wanted to discuss. As a result, I fully expect there was no reference to me in any will (if one even existed) and/or listed as a beneficiary of any kind. Because his half siblings say my biological father would have wanted to meet me (again; as he knew me my first month of life but not after) and know me (as he always wanted to)...they told me this about his inheritance. I have zero expectation of any inheritance (as finding out who he was and where I come from was my only intent), but I am curious if I would have any rights at this stage. The half siblings feel at a minimum I should be able to have his Purple Heart and Memorial Flag. I figure I don’t have any right as everything he had went to his widow...then she passed (and I hadn’t found my biological father at such time)...she was able to assign whomever she wanted to be her beneficiary of what she/they then had. In also figure there is a statute of limitation for this type of thing as well, but not sure if any potential contesting of any assets and/or belongings. Thank you.


Heirs and Beneficiaries: Inheritance Rights of Biological Children

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire