samedi 27 octobre 2018

Discrimination: California Prop. Management Harassment of Long-Term Tenants in Rent-Controlled Unit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California (Los Angeles) My sister and I signed a lease 25 years ago at a rent-controlled complex in Los Angeles. We opted not to renew the lease many years ago with the current management company because we did not like the new terms. The L.A. Housing Department said we did not have to sign if we did not want to.

A few days ago, a notice appeared on the door indicating an inspection was going to be done the following day. This was short of the required 24-hour notice, but I will let that go. A man and woman appeared at the door stating they were there to do an occupancy check. The woman said they had to get inside the unit and aggressively moved her way into the apartment and asked if there were any pests. I said absolutely not. I asked what was going on, and she said since we had been in the unit a long time, that they had to investigate and make sure everything was by the book. She said my name was not on the lease and that my sister had another address listed somewhere. I corrected the woman stating that my name was in fact on all the leases we ever signed and I could prove it. The woman said they were a big company, were backed by a big lawfirm, and repeatedly used the word "investigate."

When I asked for permission to record this visit, she objected. When I asked if they were going to EVERY apartment, she said they were doing what they needed to do. We are quiet tenants who pay our rent on time every month. We are on a month to month under the terms of a lease of a previous management company.
Every few years, this current management company tries to scare us into signing their lease. I am wondering if there is anything we can do to stop this harassment. They are not going to all apartments. They want long-term tenants out and the woman said as much. Thoughts?


Discrimination: California Prop. Management Harassment of Long-Term Tenants in Rent-Controlled Unit

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire