mardi 27 juin 2017

Supervisors: Can an Employer Ask You to Take Leave to Avoid Your Working Alone With Your Spouse

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Federal Government/DoD
My wife and I were hired by an Army Command two years ago. We work in the same office and have the same supervisor. Provisions have regularly been made to preclude one of us from supervising, or appearing to supervise, the other, although there have been occasions when we worked on the same project due to a lack of other qualified personnel. This even included going TDY together.

Today my wife and I were called into our supervisor's office and informed that we were the only people scheduled to work on July 3. My supervisor stated that, because we are a married couple, "leadership" did not want us working together, alone, on the same day, in order to prevent problems that "leadership" might later have to address. He went on to say that "leadership" wanted one of us to take leave on July 3. (I requested to know the names of "leadership", and my supervisor only said it was several people, both in our Division and elsewhere).

My wife suggested she be allowed to telework rather than one of us being forced to take leave. Our supervisor took the suggestion to "leadership", who agreed. My supervisor also apologized and said he mis-spoke, and elaborated that the demand for one of us to take leave was only to prevent any negative appearances regarding supervision.

My question: in light of the above circumstances, was it even legal for "leadership", via our supervisor, to demand one of us take a leave?

Thank you.


Supervisors: Can an Employer Ask You to Take Leave to Avoid Your Working Alone With Your Spouse

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire