jeudi 29 juin 2017

Divorce: Same-Sex Divorce of Non Us Residents

My spouse and I are lesbian couple from from Hong Kong where same sex marriage is not recognised.
We tied the knot in Hawaii a year ago and we are now planning to divorce. As I go through some papers, it seems that to get divorce with my spouse, I need to reside in Haiwaii for 6 months, but the "Dissolving Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships for Couples Who Live in Non-Recognition States: A Guide For Attorneys" published by NCLR in 2015 and Haw. Rev. Stat. § 580-1(b) seem to suggest otherwise.

As both my spouse and I are non US citizens domiciling in a jurisdiction that does not recognize our marriage, I want to know whether I can get the divorce done without residing in Hawaii for 6 months.

This problem has been bothering me for months, hope that there are some legal experts who could give me some advice, pls.

Thank you!


Divorce: Same-Sex Divorce of Non Us Residents

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire