mardi 27 juin 2017

Breaking a Lease: Former Tenant Has an Offer to Landlord After 5 Years

Hey everyone!
First of all, I'm not sure if this post should be in "breaking a lease" section or not..

Well, I really need help with this (and I'm being completely honest 100% what actually happened):
5 years ago, I rent with my partner a 2 bedrooms apartment for 1 year (split into 2 terms of 6 months), where we pay every month about $500 (if I remember well). after about 5 months I had an argument with my partner, and went to the management office and took my name off the lease leaving my partner (the MAIN Lessee) alone in the lease agreement. the agreement states that the tenant (my partner) should make sure that only 2 persons are allowed to live in the apartment WITHOUT the renter consent (so technically I'm allowed to live there, even after I took off my name from the lease, since 2 person are allowed no matter what).

After our argument the day after we came back as always and all good, BUT I genuinely forgot to add my name back to the lease agreement!

Now I have a government application where they might call in this landlord and check if I was living there 5 years ago. of course I lived there but I FORGOT to add my name back to the lease, so the landlord does NOT know that I came back to live there (but 2 people are still allowed as per the lease close).

One time I remember the management agent talking to one of the other neighbors that he should let them know if an other person is living there, and I was wondering as to why he would tell him that since it's not in the rent agreement, as it only states that there should not be more than 2 persons WITHOUT the consent of the renter.

any advice to solve it and have them recognize me living there in that time after I took off my name? just in case this company I'm concerned with would call the to check if I actually lived there in that time.

So once again, I'm willing to pay them money if they would consider not letting them know I came back a "damage" (and ask me to "repair" :) which is "legally" not true as I didn't break any clause).

PS: the agreement consists of: 2 booklets

1st booklet:
1st page: ..."This agreement is between "XXX" and "my partner's name" on date of ... etc, etc".
2nd, 3rd, 4th...etc contain clauses "pets clause", "number of tenant allowed clause", ...etc.
last page: contains: Lessee name and signature (my partner), Date, email of lessee (my partner).

2nd booklet:
1st page: not there (excluded). this booklet starts directly with the clauses from 2nd page and on.
last page: contains: Lessee name and signature (mine), Date, email (mine)

so as you can see, they named me as lessee in the 2nd booklet, BUT the 1st booklet is the one that actually has the page where it states between who and who this agreement is.

MY 2 QUESTIONS:

1 - My question is:
I'm concerned about an application with a government firm that might check on where I lived 5 years ago and they might call this landlord company to check.
Can I just call in the landlord management office and ask them that I forgot by that time to add my name back and that I'm willing to pay some fees if they charge fees for that?
Or they would consider it as a breach of the lease agreement (technically I didn't break the clause rule as I explained above) and might think to SUE me for causing some damage? (though we never caused any damage there during out entire year).

2 - what's the time frame window a landlord have before the breach becomes ineffective?

Much appreciated!


Breaking a Lease: Former Tenant Has an Offer to Landlord After 5 Years

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire