vendredi 29 décembre 2017

Federal Student Aid and Claiming Single

Hi everyone, I’m not really smart when it comes to this stuff so I think I unintentionally committed fraud and I am freaking out.

Here’s the deal, I brought my husband to the United States about 7 years ago and he entered the country as my husband, we file taxes as married filing jointly, however, we have never legally gotten married. Neither me or my husband understand this stuff, I’m 25 years old and just now hearing that i need to be legally married to file taxes as married filing jointly. I honestly had no clue, neither me or my husband.
I know we don’t have a marriage certificate and I was told at the financial aid office that I put single on my fafsa unless I was married legally in the state of Washington so I have been putting single on my fafsa for the past two years. I was also told that as long as I am under 25, I file under my parents. We were also going through somethings and did separate for a while. However, we got back together and when I renewed my fafsa this year, I put married and put the date we got married on there. I’m not sure what is going to happen now. I’m extremely worried cause we never ever intended fraud, that would be a really stupid thing to do. I wouldn’t even need to. I don’t work and my husband only makes around $1000 a month. We have two children together.
He makes less then my parents do cause his English is really bad.

I worked so hard to make it to where I am. My goal is nursing school which I just submitted my application for and have a good chance of getting accepted.
I don’t know if I unintentionally committed fraud and what is going to happen. It’s been a couple of weeks and I haven’t heard back from financial aid. I am so incredibly stressed and worried. What should I say to financial aid? I don’t want to face fraud when that’s not my intention. Please please give me some reassurance. Thanks In advance.


Federal Student Aid and Claiming Single

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire