dimanche 31 décembre 2017

Establishing an Order: Can I Be Sued for Retroactive Support of Unknown Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Georgia/Colorado

I was just contacted by a young man who claims to be my son. It's quite possible since I did date his mother 24 years ago while we were both in the Army. We were never seeing each other exclusively, and I did find out months after I stopped seeing her that she was pregnant. I asked her about it and was told that it belonged to her current boyfriend. She ended up getting married to the boyfriend and gave the child his last name. Now 24 years later he has contacted me via social media and states that his mother told him I am actually the biological father. There was never any attempt that I know of to contact me the past 24 years.

I am interested in meeting him, seeing his family and would like to start by having a DNA test done to confirm he is my son. My question is am I liable in any way for retroactive child support? He was conceived and born in the state of Colorado and spent most of his life with the mother in state of Georgia. Am I inviting risk of lawsuit by sending him a DNA test kit? He states that he wants nothing and is only looking to connect and ask questions, which I have no problems with. I have a friend though who found himself in a similar situation, with a woman showing up at his door with a 12 year old child who he'd never been informed of previously. Upon getting back a positive paternity test he is now requited by the state of Hawii to pay over $100k in back child support, interest and private school expenses. I understand taking responsibility for your actions, but this has destroyed him financially.

Is there a statute of limitations on Child Support? Do I have anything to be concerned about?

Thanks


Establishing an Order: Can I Be Sued for Retroactive Support of Unknown Child

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire