mardi 28 novembre 2017

Heirs and Beneficiaries: Etiquette for Corresponding with Beneficiaries

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: California.

My maternal grandmother passed away approximately four years ago, and my cousins and I were named the beneficiaries. Since the will could not initially be found, and my mother's siblings were not coming forward to carry out probate, my mother filed a petition to be appointed executor of the estate.

From the beginning, my aunt and her two children have been the worst sort of family vultures. I would love to belabor the details, but let's say that we're now just finishing probate because said aunt and her children have hired at least three different lawyers to contest the probate process and to try to get out of returning money and other assets that they illegally took before probate was filed. All the while, they have badmouthed my mother to other family members, spreading lies about her handling of the estate.

Since the inheritance will be disbursed soon, I was wondering if there is an etiquette for writing a final letter to the beneficiaries. My main goal is to help my mom make transparent what happened during the probate process, and clarify that probate was held up for so many years because of these vulture family members. (The vultures' version of the story, which they have industriously spread, is that my mom and the probate lawyer are greedy and incompetent.) My cousins and I will receive copies of the official report of accounts, but I doubt anyone will take a look at them. However, since these vultures have proven to be quite litigious, I fear the consequences of having in writing anything that portrays them in a negative light.

In short, is it normal for an executor to send a final letter about the probate proceeding in her own words, or is it best to just settle the accounts and move on?


Heirs and Beneficiaries: Etiquette for Corresponding with Beneficiaries

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire