mardi 29 août 2017

Grandparents and Third Parties: Can Biological Mom Legally Restrict a Stepparent from School/Public Events

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: CA

My husband and I have been married less than a year, and I'm still settling in to the role of stepmom (what to say, what not to say, when to get involved or step aside, etc). It's especially difficult as we only see my husband's son every other weekend. Even with the limited contact, my relationship to my new stepson is progressing steadily, and we've really seen him blossom in this new home and family dynamic in the past few months.

This past summer was the most time we've spent together with my husband's ex wife, occasionally doing soccer practices and games together. On the night before my stepson's first day of school, my husband got a call from his ex wife saying that I have been overstepping my bounds and trying to "inappropriately assert myself" over her in front of other parents at his soccer game the previous weekend, and that she has the legal right to request that I not be present on his first day of school, and that she is restricting me from being involved in events until I've proven that I can be trusted by her. His ex wife works in a marriage and family law office (I believe as a paralegal), so her communications are much more centered around what she has "the legal right to do," but she's also been known to lie or bend the "legal" truth in order to manipulate a situation (telling my husband that if we move in together I'm legally obligated to undergo a background check for her, that if we get married I'll be required to pay child support to her, that he is not allowed to have his son overnight on holidays granted to him in their parenting plan if it interferes with her schedule).

To respect her feelings and concerns, I agreed not to be present on the first day of school, but I haven't been able to find any example of a parent legally having any right to restrict a stepparent from being present at public and school events, unless the school has made the choice to restrict them. I'm thinking now that while she may obviously have the right to make any request, she may have no legal right to enforce it.

I understand that it's going to be a long and messy road to get to a place of cooperation and stability with my husband's ex, but I also don't want to set the example for my stepson that I'm absent or don't have an interest in his activities, especially when he's still learning who I am in his life. Is what she's saying legal?


Grandparents and Third Parties: Can Biological Mom Legally Restrict a Stepparent from School/Public Events

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire