samedi 23 février 2019

Hiring: Is Signing 2-Page Job Offer Legally Binding (Non-Compete)

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: NJ
I recently received a job offer in NJ. The company has some trade secret technology. It includes a statement similar to the one below:

Your employment with the Company is for an indefinite term and nothing in this letter modifies
your at-will employment relationship with the Company. Further, your employment will also be
subject to the Company’s “Personnel Policies and Procedures,” your entry into a
Confidentiality, Invention Assignment and Non-Competition Agreement in the form separately
provided to you, and Company’s general satisfaction with your work performance. You may
terminate your employment with the company for any reason with a written notice.
Additionally, Company may terminate your employment, for any reason, upon written notice.

I have not seen the Personnel Policies and Procedures, Confidentiality, Invention Assignment, and Non-Compete.

1. is signing the 2-page offer legally binding? For example, if I decide to take another job offer, is the Non-Compete of the 1st job activated?


2. The Company wants me to sign this document ASAP. Should I not sign the offer until I review the Non-Compete?


3. If I review the terms of the Non-Compete, and it doesn't seem reasonable, is it negotiable?


4. If the Non-Compete says I can get compensation for work time loss, will this clause stay in place if I am fired, or the Company gets purchased?


5. What constitutes "working in the same industry"? For example, if the 1st Company is in medical devices (heart treatment), is employment in a 2nd new medical device company (for lung treatment) a breach of the Non-Compete because it is also a medical device company?


Hiring: Is Signing 2-Page Job Offer Legally Binding (Non-Compete)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire