mercredi 28 septembre 2016

Transfer of Title: How to Retrieve a Friend's Impounded Car. Without the Car Owner (California)

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

So here's the twisted case: A friend left L.A. and he's now working in Europe. He gave me his car while he was away... and the car was towed last week (72h rule). I was horrified: it's not my car and I lost it!

Now I'm trying to retrieve the car, but there's no way to work around the fact that he's the owner, his name is on the Certificate of Title and they just won't give it to me (naturally). I can't change the owner at the DMV, because I can have him sign the paperwork, but I need a Smog Check and the car is impounded.
And him sending an official document authorizing the release to LAPD through a Notary public, who would send the document from Europe to the US would take weeks, not only costing hundreds of dollars but risking the fact that the car may already have been sold...
Any advice? Any ways to change the ownership at the DMV without the smog check?

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm desperate and running on a tight deadline!


Transfer of Title: How to Retrieve a Friend's Impounded Car. Without the Car Owner (California)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire