jeudi 29 septembre 2016

Naturalization: Inquiry on Process, It's a Bit Complicated and Looking for Direction

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of an awkward situation. I came to the U.S. in 1989 and became a Permanent Resident from the Philippines. My parents, became U.S. citizens in late 1996. I was 17 at the time and still had my Permanent Resident card. Now, given some family issues, my parents never petitioned (for lack of a better word) for my citizenship, I may not be using the term correctly. Anyway, I'm 37 now, married to a U.S. citizen since 2004, and would like to know where do I even start? I've read the laws and looked at numerous forms on the USCIS site and could not make heads or tails on what to do. So I figured I would start here. I haven't left the U.S. since I got here in 1989 and was pretty much raised in Los Angeles. Now that I'm married with kids, I'd like to travel and take them on vacations, but there's this thing called a Passport that I'll surely need. ;)

- Where do I start on obtaining my U.S. citizenship?
- Given my parents are citizens and became citizens before I was 18, would this entitle me to citizenship automatically?
- Do I start from scratch, like a new immigrant?
- Should I seek services from an immigration attorney?

I know, I've procrastinated long enough but the costs of naturalization the past few years versus a decade ago has dramatically changed. Now that I've got a fairly decent job and mortgage, I'm making it another goal to travel with the family.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for your suggestions.


Naturalization: Inquiry on Process, It's a Bit Complicated and Looking for Direction

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire