mercredi 28 septembre 2016

Closings and Escrow: Responsibility for Shutting Off Utilities

My question involves real estate located in the State of: California

My wife and I purchased a home which we closed on 7/24, we didn't actually move into the house until 8/24 at which point we transferred the utilities into our name. We would have done this earlier, but we were traveling and didn't mind if the utilities were shut off for a period of time as we assumed the seller would call the utilities to shut them off.

We recently received a letter in the mail from the previous owners with a bill in their name claiming that we owe them money for the period of time after closing up to the date we had the utilities transferred over. Normally, I would have just paid this to avoid the hassle but they misprogrammed a sprinkler system that ended up running for hours a day resulting in hundreds of dollars for water usage during that time.

I've never dealt with this before as when I've sold homes in the past I always shut the utilities off a few days after the closing date so I didn't pay for someone else's utilities. Who is responsible to stop the utilities and am I responsible for this bill? Thanks.


Closings and Escrow: Responsibility for Shutting Off Utilities

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire