lundi 26 septembre 2016

Cleaning and Repairs: Can I Be Charged for Carpet Replacement Without Being Shown Any Substantial Proof

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

I recently moved out of my town home, which had new carpets when I initially moved in. Throughout the year I lived there I was very meticulous about keeping the carpets looking and smelling fresh. I cleaned the carpets with a carpet washer 3 times throughout the year, and upon move out those carpets looked and smelled almost as good as when I first moved in. Barely two days after moving out I was notified that a carpet cleaning company went into the town home where I used to live and used a black light to inspect the carpet, and I was told the carpet had to be completely replaced because of pet damage (urine stains) throughout the town home. Before I moved out the front office notified me that they knew I had a dog, claiming they saw a dog on my front door step. A dog had been at my place, but was only brought over when my girlfriend came over, and there was no possible way the carpet could've been completely ruined by these visits. I am being charged around $1700 to completely replace the carpets, and I found this outrageous. I sincerely believe the land lord is lying or was lied to by the carpet cleaning company, and I am wondering if they are able to charge me without providing some substantial evidence to support their claims against me?

Shouldn't they have pictures or more proof showing I had a dog living with me as they claim? And shouldn't I have been present when the company inspected my place with a black light? At the very least I expected some pictures of the place being inspected under the black light, but upon request my land lord had no such substantiating proof, not one picture nor detailed report. All she could show me was a scribbled note from the carpet cleaning company advising for total carpet replacement. Is this enough to support the land lords decision to completely replace the carpet? I feel as though my land lord simply went along with the recommendation of the carpet cleaning company knowing that the $1700 charge would fall on me and they wouldn't have to pay for any of it. Is there anything I can do to fight this charge? I believe this will continue to happen to other residents if it doesn't stop here.


Cleaning and Repairs: Can I Be Charged for Carpet Replacement Without Being Shown Any Substantial Proof

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire