jeudi 29 septembre 2016

Retirement Benefits: Social Security Benefits - Expired Green Card

Question –

I am turning 65 in a month and would like to start collecting my social security monthly benefit payments. They are not very much, around $850 or $900 a month, but I figured I might as well collect them. I have received regular statements from social security every year or so confirming my eligibility.

My question arises not because I doubt my eligibility, but because I worked in the US as a legal resident (green card) and unfortunately I let my green card expire almost two years as I have been spending 6-9 months living abroad. So I was wondering how, if at all, will this impact my ability to collect social security benefit payments.

My understanding is that while I am still eligible, that the social security office will object to my expired green card and thus implement some sort of withholding (15-20%) from my monthly benefit payments.

I would appreciate if someone could comment on what I should expect when going to the social security office and filing for benefits with an expired resident card.

Thank you.


Retirement Benefits: Social Security Benefits - Expired Green Card

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire