mardi 28 juillet 2015

Minors' Rights: Someone Took the Blame

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Illinois


Hello. I am 17 years old in the state of Illinois. Last night, (well today at 2am), I made the decision to pull over in a parking lot to look for directions. An officer pulled up a few minutes later. I turned off the radio, and she came over and asked what was going on. I said I was just looking for directions, and she asked to see my identification because I had made a "furtive movement." I have bad anxiety and started panicking. My friend tried to handle the situation, but the officer told her to shut up. She went back to her car and me and this friend talked. This friend is 18 years old, and we were debating what to do.

A minute later, the officer returned and asked if she could search the car (probable cause being furtive movement and suspicious parking activity). Although my friend said no, I thought (since driver's ed teaches you this) it would make us more guilty to refuse a search. The lady called over multiple other cars to come take control of the situation. I was having anxiety and trouble moving, but when I left the car she started searching. I talked to another officer who was accusing my friend of lying about not doing anything suspicious. He asked if we had been convicted (she said yes, a minor possession a few months prior). I said no, and he said I was lying, so I repeatedly said no. I was still having anxiety and trouble speaking, so when the other officer said she found a pipe and some cannabis (although it was mine) my friend confessed out of the heat of the moment. They cuffed her and later let me go but made me leave my car at the lot. They drove me to the lobby and her to the jail. The female officer made a deal to make sure she was the one to drive me back, and on the way I tried to confess but she changed the subject.

I got picked up by a parent, and my friend was charged with possession and paraphernalia. Today we are both unsure of what to do, as we feel as if this officer used unnecessary force and didn't have a probable cause (furtive movement was me turning off the radio and GPS). My friend regrets taking the blame, yet neither of us want to be charged. She has scholarships at a private college in Illinois, and I want to continue with my academic success. We fear at this point we will both be charged harsher for not telling the truth. We want to go to the police station and confess, but we are unsure if it is the right move. She says since I am a minor I wouldn't be charged as harshly. What is our best option (telling the truth, her accepting charges, us both accepting 50/50, taking misconduct to court, etc)? Will we be punished for lying yesterday under fear and anxiety? Will our schools know what we did and will these charges stay on record (I cannot have charges with the career I want)?

Let me know if more information is necessary.


Minors' Rights: Someone Took the Blame

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire