mercredi 29 juillet 2015

Establishment: Restraining Order from a Mentally Unstable Woman

My question involves restraining orders in the State of: Maryland

I dated a girl for two months. For the last two weeks of those two months, she was in a mental health facility for in-patient treatment of several disorders (she was scheduled to go there before we even met). She had no access to her phone during this time. As soon as she got out, she texted me saying that she was breaking up with me and that she wanted to never see or hear from me again. Given the circumstances, I wanted to talk to her, merely to get some clarity if I couldn't get her to change her mind. We had a heated text conversation for two hours, after which she blocked me and I never communicated with her again. However, two weeks later, two police officers served me a temporary peace order, with instructions to appear in court.

I think her case is poor because there is no evidence that my "harassment" is likely to continue in the future, given that we stopped communicating as soon as she blocked me. I never went to her house (which is 40 minutes away), threatened her, or attempted to contact her indirectly. Perhaps the initial text conversation can be construed as harassment (but even then, it's a weak case), but the peace order says there must be probable cause to believe that such harassment is likely to continue in the future. As far as I'm concerned, there is zero evidence that it's likely to continue -- and much evidence that it has already stopped. Do you think that the judge will side with me? I'm a calm, stable person, while the girl who is seeking the peace order is unstable and potentially violent. I believe she is doing this purely out of spite and not out of concern for her safety.


Establishment: Restraining Order from a Mentally Unstable Woman

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire