vendredi 28 décembre 2018

State Taxes: Rejected North Carolina Return Issue (from 2015)

My question involves tax law for the state of: North Carolina

So, after some very complicated stuff in a previous year due to moving abroad, foreign income exclusion, multiple state returns, and the like, I ended up having to file my 2015 NC individual income tax return (and Federal and State returns) quite late in 2016 (in October) with an extension. I filed and paid the balance due on the return (plus the penalties) prior to the extension deadline. However, it turns out that, several months later (in February 2017), the return was rejected as unable to be processed due to a printing error (seriously?); thus, the paperwork was sent back to me. I didn't hear about this from my family in NC, where my permanent address is, and I didn't discover this until... today. There was a letter enclosed saying to reprint the return and mail it to them to guarantee the original filing date in October 2016, but there was no deadline on the form for the resubmission.

As of now, the full balance plus the penalties were paid on the mailing of the return (and the check was cashed by the DOR, which is why I thought there wasn't a problem), but apparently the return still remains unfiled. Thus, two questions:
1.) Should I still re-file the return and, if so, should I file it as an amendment?
2.) Were the rejected return to be re-filed, would that expose me to any penalties? (Since the balance has been paid in full, my research suggests there aren't any possible penalties resulting, but... well, since I don't live in the US and the flow of information from one side of the pond to the other can be a bit lacking, it's not something I want to screw up.)


State Taxes: Rejected North Carolina Return Issue (from 2015)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire