mercredi 19 décembre 2018

Sexual Assault at Work

Last February, I was sexually assaulted in the course of my work duties. I am a psychiatric nurse that makes home visits to patients. A patient who was under the influence of alcohol did the assault. He has a prior history of violence toward staff but I was still assigned to go alone.

I immediately called my supervisor and her supervisor and was told to go home. I was in shock amd not until later discovered that police should have been called then and report taken. My supervisor went out with police later and had him hospitalized. I filed my own report a few days later and he was charged with 4th degree sexual assault, 2nd degree assault, and public endangerment. He plead guilty to the 2nd degree assault and the other 2 charges were placed on stet docket. Due to this assault and a violation of probation, he was in jail until September. Here is where it gets fyn.

My agency decided to retain this person as a client. I am not required to do home visits with him but do see him in the office almost daily. It has caused me a tremendous amount of distress, enough to be diagnosed with PTSD and hospitalized. My agency has offered no support beyond telling me I can take a job at one of the group homes making 1/3 of what I make now. There was no debriefing after the incident, no quality assurance meeting with the chiefs as lines out in the agency's policy on violence in the workplace. I am just wondering if I have any legal recourse here. It seems almost unreal this is happening and I dont want to run away to another company without knowing there was something I could have done


Sexual Assault at Work

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire