samedi 29 décembre 2018

Consumer Law Issues: Charging Higher Prices for Use of a Voucher

I had a major airline issue me a voucher via email with a dollar amount attached as well as a voucher number and a number of terms. This was presented to me not as a rebookable ticket (attatched to a fare class, etc.) but rather as a dollar amount voucher. All transactions and communication take place in California. Example email:

Quote:

Dear Consumer,
Find attatched your voucher number 100208280 for the value of $1,000 USD. This voucher comes with several restrictions:
  • Nontransferable
  • Can not be used to pay for taxes on a ticket
  • Must be used within 1 year from today
  • Flights can only be operated by our airline

That sounds relativley standard to me. There is no mention of fare classes, destinations, etc. No mention of service charges.

When I call a couple months later to purchase a ticket with this voucher, I am told that there are "different prices" for using the voucher than if I was paying cash / credit. In other words, I want to buy an $800 ticket with my $1000 voucher. I know I can't use it for taxes, so I expect to pay ~$200 out of pocket. However, they tell me that all of the prices available online are only for purchases made with card or cash. They claim that that same $800 ticket (if paid with card) is actually $1500 (or some other arbitrary high number) and that I will have to pay the difference. The difference ($700 + $200 taxes) is more than if I just purchased a new ticket!

Is this legal? I know that if this were a traditional gift card from a retailer, this would fall under a service charge which I belive is was made illegal by the Credit CARD Act of 2009. However, I do not think this situation is covered under that Act's terms. Nonwithstanding, it is hard for me to believe that this legal.


Consumer Law Issues: Charging Higher Prices for Use of a Voucher

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire