dimanche 29 avril 2018

How to Avoid Criminal Record - Petty Theft

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

So today at I shoplifted $8 worth of food from Walmart. I have an eating disorder and I forgot my wallet in my car and needed to get something to eat. I was caught and brought into the office and since I did not have my ID on me, the police were called. They took my information and everything like that. Walmart said they would be sending me a bill for the stolen items. The police said there would be a statement for my arrest sent to me with a court appearance date for a ‘misdemeanor’ sent to me in about a month. He said most likely they would give me probation or community service but that the misdemeanor would be part of my permanent record. The Walmart this occurred at was in a different county than my home county because I was traveling at the time. Therefore this makes this situation complicated I think. I have a completely clean record prior to this.

I am currently a pre-med student working my butt off to get into medical school, and from the little research I have done regarding this, it looks like if I have this ‘petty theft’ misdemeanor on my record, I am going to have an incredibly difficult time getting any job, let alone becoming a doctor or getting into medical school. I feel I just ruined my whole life. Forever. I am already a person who has a lot of anxiety and stress and this is making things ten times worse. My questions regarding this situation are as follow:

1. What should be my next steps regarding this issue. This happened yesterday. Should I wait to appear in court or get a lawyer/legal consult now? Do I need to act ASAP or just wait?
2. If I get legal consult/ a lawyer, would this have to be someone from the county that the crime occurred in or could it be someone from my home county?
3. Is there anyway to have this completely removed or never appear on my record?
4. Is there a way to get the prosecutor to drop the charges before there is a trial or before I have to appear in court?
5. How do I see if there is a pre-trial deferment program in this county?
6. If I do have it removed or never appear on my record by some miracle or if I was never charged or convicted, would I need to report this on job or med school applications?
7. I live with my parents but they will probably disown me and kick me out if they find out about this...any suggestions on how to handle this or have them not find out?

I know what I did was criminal, wrong, and does not align with my values, who I am as a person, or my morals. I was impulsive, got caught up in the moment, and let my eating disorder get the best of me. I see a therapist right now and will be working through this issue with them. Thank you for your comments and responses.


How to Avoid Criminal Record - Petty Theft

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire