vendredi 28 septembre 2018

Shoplifting, Database, and Employment

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Louisiana

Hey guys. First off I want to start with I am not defending my actions or stating that I deserve anything. I committed a socially wrong act and am just requesting a discussion to better understand my situation. I made a mistake and I own it. I also apologize if I'm in the wrong forum for this. I believed this was the best fit.

I was 17 years old, this was 8 years ago, and I had no money and walked down to the local Walmart and attempted to steal a condom. I was stopped by loss prevention and taken to the back office. I can't really remember how much personal information I disclosed with them, but it most likely consisted of my birthday and name. I did not even know my social security number at the time. No police were called and I eventually received a civil demand letter. This is where I made another mistake. I told my parents about it and they ended up paying the civil demand promptly and fully.

I'm now graduating from college and pursuing a career in law enforcement. I've never had anything on my record or been in trouble before. I am currently in the hiring process for my local police department. I have an impeccable public record. However, I know police departments and their applicant investigators do a much more strenuous background check on their applicants.

I'm not so much asking what the department will do, because I'm sure they will run my name through several retail theft databases. I'm more so asking and inviting others for a discussion on if my name would still be in the retail theft database after 8 years? I've read many different theories on this matter and would like some clarification. Some say your name stays in their database, some say it clears after 7 years, and some say that it's no a definite if it clears or not. I got a job at Best Buy through college, but it's possible they don't subscribe to the same database Walmart uses. Is it possible they sent me a civil demand letter and didn't include me in the database? I wouldn't expect this because companies are trying to protect themselves against any form of theft. Is there anything I can do or any advice?


Shoplifting, Database, and Employment

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire