mercredi 26 septembre 2018

Life Insurance: Delayed Life Insurance Payment

My question involves life insurance law for the state of; Nevada? Maybe Illinois.

I live in California. My older brother, who lived in Las Vegas passed away.

In early May, I got a letter from an insurance company (headquartered in Illinois) explaining that he had a life insurance policy from the union that he worked for in Las Vegas and that I am the beneficiary. I provided the company with the forms they sent and a death certificate on May 15th and was told that I would receive a check in about two weeks. As of today, 9/25, I have not received that payment.

I've spoken with the contact person several times inquiring about what might be the delay. She has been polite, but somewhat vague…telling me that a committee needed to have a meeting to decide about the payment…saying sometimes they are just about to and at others, thinking that maybe they just did and each time that she would let me know as soon as she did. I’ve been patient and waited. Recently she called me to let me know that she (thought she had) approval and authorized a check to be sent, but later that day was told that there was no approval and that she stopped payment on the (just sent) check…and warned me not to try to cash it. At that time, I pressed a bit about what was going on and why this was taking so long to finalize. She told me (vaguely) that there were two companies involved…something about how the policy ‘moved’ from one company to the other (I suppose through some kind of merger or acquisition)…again, she was somewhat vague about how this came about…whether through not knowing or not wanting to say.

My question is WHY can not two insurance companies make a decision about paying policies that they share some responsibility for…or that one or the other has full responsibility for given a merger or acquisition? WHY would this take so long? WHAT might be going on here? And WHAT might you suggest that I do? I was never sent a copy of the insurance policy…is this something that I should request?


Life Insurance: Delayed Life Insurance Payment

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire