jeudi 27 septembre 2018

Life Estates: Life Tenant Going to Jail

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Michigan

My father left me as remainderman of his property with the 3rd wife as life tenant. Her status as life tenet ends and property goes to me "upon death or remarriage of ______, or upon ______'s failure to occupy said premises for a period of 60 continuous days"

The life tenant suffers from alcoholism. Since my Fathers death she has been arrested for drunk driving 3 times, the 3rd was recently and she has yet to be sentenced. Upon the 2nd conviction she served 77 days in jail(more than the 60 continuous days required to occupy the home). At that time the lawyer said there was nothing we could do because the failure to occupy was "involuntary". In my opinion, she voluntarily drank and voluntarily drove but I left it alone. This time for her 3rd conviction she will be sentenced even longer, up to 5 years.

As remainderman, what are your opinions on my options? Thank you in advance.


Life Estates: Life Tenant Going to Jail

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire