lundi 24 septembre 2018

Rental Agreements: Is Landlord Double-Dipping (Indiana)

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Indiana

Husband and I are breaking our lease due to his illness (we need to live closer to my job, so that I can respond faster to emergencies). Found a suitable rental soon after renewing current lease. Our current lease stipulates that, if we break our lease, we forfeit our damage deposit and must pay $75 for the number of months remaining in the lease (lease was renewed August 1, 2018). I was aware of the "$75 a month" clause, but didn't realize that we would also lose our deposit; just noticed it after digging out the lease while packing.

I assume there is no recourse at this point, since we signed the lease and therefore 'agreed' to the penalties for breaking our lease, but it seems a little like double-dipping -- particularly if landlord rents our current unit right away (and with there being a housing shortage in our area, so I'm sure it will be rented again in short order).

Can anyone advise if losing our deposit on top of a monthly fee is legal in the State of Indiana? I have Googled it, but can't seem to find anything that addresses both loss of damage deposit and the 10-month penalty fee.

Thank you for any insight.


Rental Agreements: Is Landlord Double-Dipping (Indiana)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire