lundi 30 juillet 2018

Grandparents and Third Parties: Can My Child's Grandmother Try and Have Custody Removed from Me

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Tennessee

For the past two years, my mother-in-law has been living with us and it's been a roller coaster. Right now she blames me for "destroying" my 16 year old step-son because she feels I have been a pathetic father for the past 6 and have been verbally abusing him. He's now at the point where he's only motivated to do things he wants, he'll argue with his mom on everything, he's lazy, doesn't care about anything unless it benefits him. Basically stuff my wife says is "Teenager" stuff and she feels that I didn't build a good relationship with him after we were married. But the problem now stems from what she's accusing me of with my 4-year old biological son.

In our house, my wife and I live with our two boys, my 16 year old step son and 4 year old biological son, my wife's sister and her two children, aged 16 and 10, and my wife's mother. For the most part, I'm not home as much due to working two jobs while my wife works one, in order to support everyone. The incident that apparently sparked my MIL's fury is that I told my 4 year old that if his 10 year old cousin isn't willing to share his Nintendo Switch with him, then he shouldn't have to share his Nintendo 3DS, because I felt my 4 year old was being taken advantage of by his 10 year old cousin. This hit a severe thorn in my MIL's paw as she feels I'm teaching him hatred, selfishness, and teaching him how to be a delinquent thug and that I'm destroying him. She states that when I'm home from work, my 4 year old changes in personality; he becomes defiant, he lies, and he's not this wonderful child that she's around all the time and that I'm the reason for it. I feel like that is completely wrong as my 4 year old is my pride and joy and I want nothing but the best for him. She has threatened me before stating that I'm an unfit parent because she feels I project my emotional problems and issues onto my child and wife and that I had pulled a knife on myself once, making for an unsafe environment. Just last night she threatened to take me to court to have me committed, thrown in jail, or to have me removed from my home because she will not allow me to "destroy" my son. She told me that I am "Contributing to the delinquency of a Minor" by teaching him something like this instead of teaching him how to be loving and kind. She's even told me that the entire household runs better when I'm not there. Mind you I am a person who has never smoked, never done drugs, never done anything illegal, works two jobs to help take care of everyone, and has to deal with untold amounts of stress and depression to the point that I come home from work, I spend what little time I have sitting on the couch watching Netflix with my 4 year old leaning on me.

I honestly don't know what she can do, but her threats have caused me to even become ill. I love my 4 year old with everything in my being and would sacrifice everything I have to ensure he has a bright future and that he becomes a good man when he grows up. I am in counseling with my wife to ensure our marriage stays together because I want him to grow up in a two parent household. I don't want to have him stuck in the middle of a parental battle, unlike the one my wife had with her older son's father.

Can my mother-in-law really take legal action against me to have my parental rights removed? Can something like this really make me be considered an unfit parent? I'm really uneasy and want to know everything I can to ensure I don't lose my son.


Grandparents and Third Parties: Can My Child's Grandmother Try and Have Custody Removed from Me

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire