mercredi 29 août 2018

Estate Planning Strategies: Basic Answers to Start

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Texas
Just had this thrown in my lap by my 91 year old Dad. He had a talk with his banker today about his estate and ways to have the bills on the house paid until it could be cleaned up and sold. Forgive me I will try and be brief,
Have been living with my folks for three years helping care for them and until January was also working full time. Mom passed in April and altho Dad is in good health for his age he is worried. I have an older brother who lives in Cali and would not be able because of work to come out to Texas and take care of the estate so it will be my task.
My dad has always been someone who didnt want help and didnt want anyone stepping on his toes. However he is now somewhat feeble mentally. he functions fine just has forgetfullness at times etc. Today he griped me silly for not doing the estate planning, so now I wish to find options and solutions.
As far as I know, and I have not been allowed to see or know, my brother is named executor of the estate in my dads will. Question one is ...how then will I be able to take care of the estate? The estate will consist of a house worth several hundred thousand dollars after the mortgage is paid plus the value of nice furniture and content and his vehicle.
I assume the will needs to be filed for probate with the court, will I be able to at the time of filing start liquidating the assets in the house? And putting that money in a separate account. How long might I be waiting for the judge to hear the case and decide? Would I need to talk to him in the first place in order to do anything on the estate or will the Death Cert and Will be enough. I explained to dad that since I am not (probably) named on the will I cant do anything unless a judge allows it).
I also assume that Dads bank accts will be frozen, all the bills are auto deducted from those accts. As I have lived here helping them for several years i would have no place to go. Would I be able to continue to live here until the estate is disposed of?
That is my immediate concern....paying the bills here while I dispose of the estate and sell the house. I have been studying to get into IT but will need to find work and an apt. My parents wishes have always been that myself and my brother divide everything equally. I intend to honor their wishes.
yes, I do understand that I need to talk to an estate atty and there are several close by but of course closed now. Trying to find someone with a free first consultation if I can.
Thanks for reading and if any attys read this if you could just give a few ideas as to options i would really appreciate it. Like I said I had this thrown at me earlier.


Estate Planning Strategies: Basic Answers to Start

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire