mercredi 16 mai 2018

Vandalism and Mischief: Do You Have to Pay to Replace Property That You Accidentally Damage

My question involves criminal law for the state of: CA.

I was sitting outside of a coffee shop talking with a friend and he showed me his new CA RealID drivers license. It was a windy day and I felt that I was going to loose grip of it.

My immediate reaction was to place the card to my chest to gab it to prevent it from falling on the ground like a cellphone. Ssomehow the card bent and for the likes of me I cannot explain how it bent.

Immediately I apologized and my Friend yelled obscenities and I followed up with an appology email and voicemail. I did not purpisefully bend the card and I was not acting negligent.

This would not have happened if my Friend did not hand me over an important document. I feel as if the quality of the card should be stronger. I barely rubbed the card up against my body to help catch it with my left hand.

Am I responsible for replacng the card? How do we know that the DMV did not use a good plastic Even my credit card is made of striin her plastic and you would have to really bend it with two hands

You see I take responsibility where its due and here I appoligized sinceely to my friend and I thnk its shared responsibility. If my laptop was damaged at a cafe they would not replace it but id it was in my home I would be responsible for the damage and my insurance would cover it.

Was it right for my friend to use obscenities and other people heard and turned in our direction. I mysrlf would never draw attention to an accident no matter how upset I was.

If Judge Judy took a case she would first ask my friend why did he show an important document to some one else? My defense is thst I was acting in a reasonable manner to avoud it from falling on the ground and it was instinct to bring the card towards my chest to help grab it.

If I knew how easily it bent or how flimsy the card could be I would have not handled t in the first place. The same for borrowing a friend's expensive item. I am the first one to be afraid of damage and I treat their items like its my own and protect them the best way possible.

Again I appoligized without taking financial responsibility unless it can be prooven that I am responsible. To keep the friendship I understand that he may be upset and I don't want that. He thanked me for my appoligy and I hope we can move on from this.

I know it takes a long time to apply for a RealID and I was doing everything in my power to protect it

Thoughts?


Vandalism and Mischief: Do You Have to Pay to Replace Property That You Accidentally Damage

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire