dimanche 20 mai 2018

Modification of Support: Changing the Parent Responsible to Provide Health Insurance for a College Aged Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Illinois

My daughter has turned 18 and is a Freshman in college. My divorce papers do state that both parties are supposed to help with all college expenses, however, her father has not contributed anything. I know that Illinois recognizes Non-Minor Support orders but with the college expenses, I don't have the extra funds to hire an attorney to try to get money from him. We have managed...and she is working 2 jobs to help with her college expenses, plus she was awarded some very generous scholarships. Part of "college expenses" per our divorce papers are providing medical insurance.

My ex-husband does still have my daughter on his insurance as do I. His insurance is extremely difficult to work with and sends all kinds of paperwork to fill out to avoid paying claims. All the paperwork goes to him and his insurance will not send it direct to her. Therefore she ends up with denied claims and she and I have to pay them out of pocket. They really have no contact since he doesn't want to help with college, but she sent him a text message asking him to take her off his insurance at the next open enrollment, and his reply was "nope, can't do that until you are done with school".

He also said that since she doesn't want anything to do with him, she shouldn't be asking him for favors. That "favor" is removing her from his insurance. Can we petition the court to make him take her off his insurance? He has to have Employee + Child(ren) insurance regardless of her because he has 2 other children from 2 other relationships. So using cost savings as rational won't matter. And if we can petition the court to have him remove her from his insurance, is it something I do by modifying my divorce papers, or is it something she does since she is 18 now?


Modification of Support: Changing the Parent Responsible to Provide Health Insurance for a College Aged Child

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire