vendredi 30 mars 2018

Getting Fired: Suing the U.S. Postal Service

Hello,
I am a 19 year old sophomore in college seeking to sue the USPS for possible discrimination.



Why I applied to the post office:

Due to an unforeseen room & board fee I was not allowed to register for my classes last fall. I went from being a full time Pre-Med student to an unemployed guy living with his mom again. I was in a deep depression when my mom convinced me to apply to the post office & a couple of weeks after taking my pre-employment exams & driving between the city and my town multiple times for the interview & background checks and what not... I was hired. Two days of orientation at the big post office 3 hours North was mandatory. We were paid for travel. At orientation we learned all about the job & recieved multiple packets (One of which was a mandatory on the job training checklist to be filed when you're trained on the job). My seniority date was Nov 25, 2017 & my first day of work was at the very beginning of December. The job that I applied for was an MHA & the woman that interviewed me & hired me on assured me that the job would be from 6 PM to 6 AM (I have this in writing).



During Employment:

I was asked to come in at 5 pm one evening & was told that this would be my "first day on the job". Upon arrival I recieved my name tag, locker & lock and my work gloves. I put my folder from orientation in my locker & was brought onto the big work floor. I was introduced to my white senior citizen supervisor & put with the 3 other middle-aged white MHA's & immediately put to work. They told me to "Scan the boxes & put them in the BMC that goes to their city." That was it. After about 2 hours of sorting we had to move over to the machines to bag packages that were shooting down a conveyor belt. Without going into too much detail on the work I can just say that everything was heavy, there were limited breaks, MHA's were understaffed (it was just about 4 of us) And I was very very vaguely told what to do. I was not trained. This was all during December (The Holiday season) so the workload was immense. Whenever I had a question whoever I asked would sigh & roll their eyes and give the shortest answer they possibly could. One important part of the job is when all of the packages were sorted into boxes & bags the whole work floor would rush to get lifts to bring the packages & bags to the trucks for transport. Everything had their own assigned semi truck & everyone was just whizzing away putting all of the mail to their assigned truck. They all have worked there 10+ years so everyone knew how to do this. Every single day the trucks would be in different places & every single day instead of training me on how the transporting was sorted they'd wait for me to ask where things should go and then tell me. On my first day after finishing all of this I asked my supervisor when I'd be done. It had already been 8 hours & he said "oh you'll probably be here until 5." This was my very first day & not only was i not properly trained but I also didn't even know what time I was Done. I have phtographs of the schedule in my phone & this was an everyday occurence: My start time was 5pm & my end time was a "?".
I dont't even want to get into the comments made about my appearance. I am a very young (Still 19 years old) brown skinned african american male with longer hair. None of the older employees would speak to me but I later found out they were mocking my appearnce stating that I looked like "a young Michael Jackson" This was all just such a very uncomfortable & unwelcoming work enviroment. Just after the holdiay season ended & just under 2 months of my employment I was fired for atendance. I was scheduled everyday for 5pm & I always made it there just minutes shy. This was happening the entire stay of my employment but action was only taken after the holiday rush ended. & the worst part is that I still have the on the job training packet sitting right in front of me that my supervisors never even started. I was treated like a mindless, extra pair of arms there to help out & ridicule rather than the Full-Time USPS employee that I was. It's been 2 months & this whole situation still saddens me.



Case Synopsis:

I applied for a MHA job with the USPS for a specific shift/time. I was assured, in writing, that I would recieved that shift/time. For the entire duration of my employment at the USPS I was never given the shift/time. I was also never properly trained (treated like a temporary employee). Immediatly after the busy season ended I was relieved of my position. It was stated that I was fired because of my attendance (just mere minutes late) But the main problem is that the shift/time I was assigned was not the shift/time that I apllied for & was assured I'd have. I beleive I was discriminated against by my much older all white peers because of my young age & darker skinned ethnicity.



I explained this entire situation as it was happening to my union rep at of post office & on my surprise last day she gave me her personal phone number to speak with her. I have call records in my phone of calling her multiple times, ready to take action. Every time I called the phone was never answered.

I am ready to take legal action against the USPS and any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank You.


Getting Fired: Suing the U.S. Postal Service

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire