lundi 26 mars 2018

Contract Law: Opinion of Language in Contract

My question involves business law in the state of: Kansas


We sold a used piece of equipment a while back. We are NOT in the business of selling equipment. This was something of ours and simply getting rid of it. Against our better judgement, we agreed to allow buyer to have a law firm generate a contract with a 2 week return policy built in. We did not expect any issues. Today is the 14th day. The buyer has not returned the machine but last Friday was requesting to extend the return time frame because they wanted more time to inspect the equipment with a couple issues they were having. I was busy but did call and leave a message. They called this morning and I am not quite sure how I want to handle this just yet.

I would not ordinarily reject requests to help on something like this, but I feel I am being bent a little too far here. I already allowed a return policy. They came up with the 2 weeks. I know these guys will most certainly be out some serious cash between installing it already and return trucking costs, and this could be more of a bluff, but I did not create the terms and they already got a good deal on the equipment IMO and I don't want to have to hassle with a return and all that comes with that.

4. Right of Inspection. Buyer shall have the right to identify and inspect the
Equipment on arrival at Buyer's facility . Buyer will have a qualified CNC technician/electrician
hook-up and check out the machine. If equipment is not found to be in good working order as
described, then Buyer will return the Equipment to Seller, at Buyer's expense. Machine to be
returned to Seller within 2 weeks after received if not acceptable to Buyer using the same mode of
transport used to ship machine to Buyer.


I realize the language is pretty loose here, in hindsight it needed clarified. However, to me, I would think that machine would need to be here TODAY. Or does "within 2 weeks" mean before 2 weeks is up?

Thoughts on this matter?


Contract Law: Opinion of Language in Contract

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire