mardi 30 mai 2017

Transferring Title: Mechanics Lien Limbo

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Oregon

I bought a van in TN. The van sold at auction on a mechanics lien. All paperwork seems to be in order; certified letter to last registered owner that was returned three times unopened, the newspaper ad for the auction etc. I took the paperwork to the TN DMV to get a title but was told that they wouldn't issue me a title because I was an out of state resident. Worried that I might have trouble presenting the paperwork to OR I asked what would happen if Oregon wouldn't accept TN paperwork. She assured me that if I OR wouldn't accept it they would issue me a title provided that Oregon give a letter stating that they wouldn't accept TN paperwork. TN issued me a temporary tag for the trip home.

Once home Oregon DMV accepted all the paperwork and issued me plates and everything was fine until almost two months later and I got a call from Oregon asking for the plates back as they won't recognize TN paperwork. I called TN to explain what happened and to find out how to go about getting the title only to have their DMV now tell me that they won't issue me a title since I'm out of state.

How do I reconcile this?

OR suggested that I "try to register it in another state that would accept TN's paperwork and get a title" which then OR would accept. They didn't suggest a state.

I know that VT will issue plates based on a Bill of Sale only for vehicles over 15 years (the van is 18 years) and I confirmed today that OR will accept VT registration in lieu of a title.

I researched the previous lien holder and the previous owner. There is no lien on the van - the former lien holder sold the van at auction in 2011 and has no claim to it. The previous owner I believe passed away but I can't be sure. The carfax for the van ends in 2012 and I believe it was abandoned at that time.

Where does a title begin and end? TN won't issue me a title but I'm the "winner" of the auction from the "Garage Keepers Lien" and have all the paperwork from that. How much ownership does that give me without the title?

I'm worried that if I present all this paperwork to VT they might not accept it. Ironically they would accept a simple bill of sale which I've done before. Does TN have to "release" the title? If I get a plates from VT and then take that to OR what happens to the last known title in TN? Is there a drawback from giving up on TN and circumventing it and getting a VT registration and then turning that into a OR title?

Looking forward to any and all advise.

Thanks,

Gregor


Transferring Title: Mechanics Lien Limbo

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire