mardi 30 mai 2017

Emancipation: How to Help a Minor Girlfriend Get Emancipated

Question in reference to a minor and legal adult in Missouri.

I'm aware questions of this nature have been asked and responded to time and time again, with essentially the same result every single time... however, I'm a bit bullheaded and pretty insistent on seeing what I can do about my current situation. I'm not whining because it's bad; there's nothing dramatic or special about my case. I'm just interested on sharing the opinions of people who have experience with the laws - especially family law in Missouri (which feels pretty non-existent at times).

Starting from the beginning, I am 18 now and my fiancé (though her guardian (who is not her parent) would disagree with that title) is 16 as of February. When we started dating, I was 17 and she was 15 which I believe stands up in Romeo & Juliet laws (unclear on the extent of their protection) as well as what I understand to be the statutory limitations on minors in Missouri. The current long-term goal is to wait until she's 17, at which time she can leave the home and the police cannot force her to go back home (I asked the police department about this myself).

In the short term, I wanted some wizened opinions on making a petition for emancipation to the 39th Circuit Court in Missouri. She'd be the one filing, of course. The idea is that since she works full-time and is completely capable of setting up payment arrangements with her guardian to essentially be "self-sufficient", it would be an almost trivial matter to bring a petition before the court and try to rule that it is in her best interest to be emancipated. However, a suspected pregnancy and family issues may pose a challenge to that.

Continuing, I'm well aware the age-old war between teens and their guardians; more than aware. I'm a spectacularly clean case when it comes to that, but I understand it thoroughly. As "abuse" is a highly subjective point to stand on, my fiancé feels as though her guardian is emotionally abusive and unnecessarily controlling at times. She has also been hit before, though it did not stand up with the police as no marks were left (happy and disappointed at the same time).

We've done everything we can right. We're both Christians, we both agreed to marry before we had sex the first time, and we were open about it with her guardian. Her overall family has a rather full past of emotional and, to some degree, physical abuse. I'd simply like to see what options there are of enabling her to live with me sooner than when she turns 17.

As it stands, I also work and can easily support myself on my stable income, though I'm fully aware that has virtually no weight in a court case.

As an additional question, if we were to make a case to allow us to be married by court order, might that work? And on top of that, would pregnancy help with that particular option?


Emancipation: How to Help a Minor Girlfriend Get Emancipated

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire